Hallie's Comet: A Comparing and Categorizing Game
Product Code : MPS8-37422
Ages: 5-10Grades: K-5
This game is packed with 600 stimuli to develop expression, vocabulary, and thinking skills.
There are 200 illustrated game cards. Each game card has two illustrated objects on the front and three questions on the back. The first question focuses attention on how the illustrated items are different. The second question focuses on the similarities of two items. The third question targets categorization skills.
The illustrations give students with strong visual skills and weak auditory skills a boostthey don't have to rely on memory to recall details about each item. The cards are organized by:
- clothing and accessories
- potpourri (occupations, transportation, places, sports, and leisure)
Students learn to attend to critical features and gain flexibility in thinking and verbal expression. Categorizing requires students to determine how items can belong to the same group despite having unique characteristics.
How To Play This Game
The heavy-duty, single-fold game board is compact and sets up in seconds.
- Take a card, show the pictures, and read either the first question (differences), second question (similarities), or third question (categories) to the player. Feel free to change the wording of the question, depending on the player's level of understanding (e.g., same vs. alike, different vs. not the same). Answers on the cards are provided as examples only. Accept all reasonable responses.
- Encourage players to use the pictures for extra cues when describing how the items are different and/or the same. When players are giving similarities and differences, remind them to focus on the typical item (e.g., long-sleeved turtleneck) rather than the not-so-typical item (e.g., short-sleeved or sleeveless turtleneck).
- If the player answers the question correctly, he rolls the die and moves that number of spaces. If he answers incorrectly, he doesn't roll the die or move his pawn. Play passes to the player on the left.
- If a player lands on a spot that begins a shortcut, he moves his pawn to the end of the shortcut. If a player lands on the ""Chat with the Moon"" or ""Take a Meteor Shower"" spot, he loses his next turn.
- Set a time limit for game play (e.g., 20 minutes). The player closest to Finish at the end of that time wins the game.
- If a player answers incorrectly, allow another player to give an answer. If the second player's response is correct, that player rolls the die and moves her pawn. Play then continues to the original player's left.
- For more advanced players, ask all of the questions on a card. The player compares and contrasts the pictured items and answers a categorizing question. For each question the player answers correctly, he rolls the die and moves his pawn.
- Use the game cards alone for a quick drill activity.
COMPLETE KIT INCLUDES: 11"" x 17"" heavy-duty, single-fold game board; 200 double-sided picture/stimuli cards on perforated card stock; answer key; 6 pawns; die; instructions; vinyl folder. ( 2003)