Ages: 16-AdultGrades: 11-Adult
Each book in this series addresses an integral component of daily communication and reasoning in a format just right for adults with language and cognitive disorders.
Adult clients improve attention, mental manipulation of information, and comprehension with one-page language lessons that progress in difficulty. A screening tool in each book helps identify the client's use of reasoning strategies prior to designing therapy sessions. The content is basic to moderate difficulty level and reflects a wide variety of language needs for everyday functioning.
Each book targets a different language skill area with appropriate content and reading levels for adults with acquired communication disorders. The 6-book set consists of:
- Abstract Categories: Categorize intangible qualities and characteristics with tasks in selecting category names and members, excluding items from categories, and naming items in categories based on a variety of criteria.
- Concrete Categories: Understand and categorize things that are definite and tangible with tasks in selecting category names and members, excluding items from categories, and naming items in categories based on a variety of criteria.
- Deductions: Improve verbal, written, and figural deductive reasoning and inferencing by answering if/then, what, and who questions and completing language- and picture-based deduction activities.
- Following Directions: Address the underlying forms and processes for understanding directions by practicing simple to complex variations in body part commands, written directions, and directions with picture and numbers.
- Word Relationships: Clients access their word repertoire by recalling words as opposites, synonyms, and in analogies; and by recognizing multiple meaning words.
- Yes/No Questions: Clients progress from easy to difficult levels of yes/no question comprehension. Activity formats include item comparisons, before and after questions, and questions with and without pictures. The activities conclude with yes/no questions pertaining to paragraph length material.
COMPLETE 6-Book Set: each book 40-pages, screening tool, answer key ( 2007)