Spotlight on Reading Comprehension: 6-Book Set
Product Code : MPS8-31821
Linda Bowers+ Rosemary Huisingh+ Paul Johnson+ Carolyn LoGiudice+ Jane Orman
Ages: 7-10Grades: 2-5
Teach the reading comprehension skills good readers use! Students become purposeful, active readers as they develop six research-based reading comprehension skills. Each book in this research-based set has 11 reading lessons with three levels of controlled readability: 2.0-2.9, 3.0-3.9, and 4.0-4.9. Each lesson consists of a one-page, illustrated reading passage and two pages of these reading comprehension tasks:
- questions to detect the main idea and identify details
- questions about vocabulary and semantics
- questions targeting the comprehension skill for each book
- formulate a question related to the story topic
- a writing activity
The reading comprehension questions are similar to those found on classroom and national reading comprehension tests. Questions challenge students to think about the reading passage and use reasoning skills. Most of the questions are multiple-choice with some true/false and oral response questions.
Each book targets a specific reading comprehension skill. The 6-book set consists of:
- Characters and Actions-Studying characters and their actions helps students comprehend the story.
- Comparing and Contrasting-Students compare and contrast information in reading passages and grasp the meaning of what they read.
- Figurative Language and Exclusion-Well-thought out questions help students understand figurative language and exclusion in reading passages.
- Making Inferences and Drawing Conclusions-Comprehension questions challenge students to think about what they read and look for hints in the reading passage.
- Paraphrasing and Summarizing-Students summarize what they read and tell the story in their own words.
- Sequencing and Problem Solving-Identifying the components and order of events in a story helps students comprehend the stories. Questions for problem-solving give students a deeper understanding of the stories.
6-Book Set • each book 40 pages • 8.5 x 11, softcover • ©2005