Test of Phonological Awareness in Spanish (TPAS)
Product Code : MPS8-10940
Ages: 4-0 through 10-11
Testing Time: 15 to 30 minutes
The Test of Phonological Awareness in Spanish (TPAS) measures phonological awareness ability in Spanish-speaking children. The TPAS can be used to help identify children who may benefit from instructional activities to enhance their phonological abilities to aid reading instruction. The TPAS subtests consist of:
- Initial Sounds - determining if a second word begins with the same sound as a target word,
- Final Sounds - determining if a second word ends with the same sound as a target word,
- Rhyming Words - determining whether a second word rhymes or sounds like the target word, and
- Deletions - repeating a specific word while leaving out a syllable or sound at the beginning, middle, or end of the word.
The subtest scaled scores are based on a mean of 10 and a standard deviation of 3. The subtest scores are combined to produce a composite ability score having a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. The normative sample was composed of more than 1000 children selected to reflect the composition of the Spanish-speaking population in the United States based on current U. S. Bureau of the Census figures. Further sample weighting was conducted prior to the development of the normative tables. Internal consistency reliabilities range from .87 to .98 at different ages. Test-retest reliability coefficients for the subtests are mostly above .80; those for the composite all exceed .80. Evidence related to content, predictive, and construct validity is strong. Differential item functioning analysis was used to determine items with potential bias for gender and various Spanish-dialect groups.
Complete TPAS Kit ( 2004) Includes:
- Examiner's Manual
- 25 Examiner Record Booklets
- all in a sturdy storage box